It is interesting to me, how many sets of parents one can actually have. Of course there are your real, true, biological parents who do most of the work and pay for college (thank you, by the way). But then there are parents whose parental roles sort of spill over into your life.
Bethany's parents, Bob and Michelle Lomas, were in town today. They live about an hour and a half away so I've known them since freshman year. About the time we all start moving our stuff either in or out of a new Vanguard room they show up with a big white truck to haul our junk around (thank you, buy the way). Seeing them today was so refreshing. They care about what is going on in my life, pray for me, and give me hugs that I totally need.
In high school there were various sets of these "parental units", which is what we liked to call them, in my life. Kevin and Sharon Koskela have definitely filled that role for me. Just last week I talked to Sharon on the phone about missions, what's happening in my life and things that are happening in theirs. They always support me and pour into my life (thank you, by the way). Steve and Linda Ritz taught me how to sail, how to get to Modesto the back way and introduced me to coffee and fish (thank you, by the way). Tom and Mona McGrady have constantly been a source of encouragement, and their house is like a safe-haven-getaway for me. Whenever I am there I am so filled with peace, and whenever Mona is here I get "mom hugs" that seem to come at the perfect times.
It is well known that we are all supposed to "become our parents". Some of us fight it, only to realize that by fighting it we have become even more of what we were striving not to be. But I look at my life and if I were to become a bit like each of the people that fill this role for me, I'd be well off.
1 comment:
Ashley,
I love you!
As one of your "parental units", it is my joy to be a part of your life and to have you as part of mine. You can be assured that you have poured at least as much into me as I into you.
Thank you for letting me "in".
S.
Post a Comment