Monday, April 20, 2009

dave the philosopher


So I was recently told that my friend Dave, who I met and studied with in Oxford, keeps a blog. I have so many memories of Dave at the kitchen table with huge stacks of books, reading, with his glasses halfway down his nose. He talks about Kierkegaard, and Nietzsche and is in love with the A Very Short Introduction series by Oxford University. Dave is also a beer connoisseur, while in Oxford he and our friend TJ visited a total of 25 different pubs, not to get drunk of course, but to sample the various masterpieces of the local English brewers. Dave is a goofball as well, has a good time, and knows how to make the best quesadilla that I have ever had. From Dave I learned the difference between Pantheism and Panentheism.
He obviously had an effect on me. The other day Dr. Beals, my worldview professor walks up to me after class and our conversation went like this:
"What's your major?"
"I'm an english major, religion minor though!"
"Okay thats good, have you ever thought about studying philosophy?"
(I half jokingly, half seriously replied) "Everyday."
"Okay cause I really track with your involvement in this class. If you ever need anything, like a letter of recomendation or something, to any program, just let me know and we'll work it out."
I was giddy the rest of the day, mostly because I have so much respect for this professor/pastor/philosopher. I had him for my Foundations class, and this Worldview class has been the greatest joy to attend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is great, Ashley! I love those pictures you just posted from your friend.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned anything about this before, but I'm coming to CA this summer to live in La Mirada with TJ and some of his friends from Biola!

Kohleun Seo said...

My advisor (a philosophy prof) is named Dr. (Corey) Beals!