Saturday, April 11, 2009

family weekend part one

Tonight I drove up to the beach house my mom rented for our family this weekend. First family vacation in a long time. I'm excited. It was raining off and on, especially over the grape vine. I listened to Pastor Matt's easter sermon from last year on the way up, and some 80s rock radio.

About 15 miles away from my destination the roads started to twist and turn. My favorite kind of highway. It was dark, but the moon is almost full so I could still see a lot. My black Honda was the only car on the road. As the twists and turns took me up and over the coastal hills Pink Floyd, the hour long "Friday night Floyd Fix" on 93.3 to be exact, serenaded me. I could only make out the difference between the sky and the dark hills because of the stars that glittered behind them. Coastal shrubs, oaks and pines began to line the roadway as I accelerated around the turns. Soon, in between the hills I could make out a misty dark ocean, red buoys blinking in the distance.

I turned into a neighborhood much like the one my parents live in. All the streets are on a steep hill and none of them make sense. Street signs are missing from most of the corners and the roads haven't been paved in a long time. I pulled up to a little house overlooking the coast, next to my dad's lifted Chevy Blazer.

It's good to be with my family.

1 comment:

Becka_Bo said...

Very nice - I was completely able to visualize it.

And it's absolutely beautiful.