Wednesday, April 29, 2009

among readers

Two nights ago I found myself sitting at a kitchen table surrounded by college graduates. Guys who sat around with me and talked about their favorite books, favorite theologians. It wasn't long before I had a pen out and they had made me a book list. At one point one of them even went back into his room to scan the titles on his shelf. When I left Oxford I thought it would never happen again. I have found a bunch of people who are intelligent, like to read, have good conversations and care about most of the things that I do (changing the world, literature, art, community, gardening, coffee- to name a few).


Here is the list, mostly for my records, but if you are interested:

The C.S. Lewis trilogy- Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength
Don Quixote- by Miguel de Cervantes
East of Eden- by John Steinbeck
The Idiot and Brothers K- by Dostoyevsky
Ender's Game- by Orson Scott Card
The Little Prince- Antoine de Saint Exupéry
How Not to Speak of God- Peter Rollins
Complete Works of- Edgar Allen Poe

(This list does not include all the books we got excited about, because we all had read them)

4 comments:

catherinecarmen said...

brothers Karamozov is already on your list, silly.

Perelandra is really good.

catherinecarmen said...

oh, and I just got the works of Poe.

We should create a list for this summer.

you might as well add the Color Purple

ashley said...

on sunday, when we have breakfast, we will make one, and then over the summer we can converse about them!

Kristen said...

oooh Ender's Game is so good. I read it in my Freshman (or) soph english class in high school. We all thought our english teacher was crazy... because the choice was a bit off the beaten path, but it's a seriously good book that i'd like to read again now that i'm much wiser and more mature. ;)