Yesterday was a momentous occasion, the first time that I got to help with the community garden a few of my friends are starting. I haven't mentioned it before, mostly cause I hadn't gotten involved yet. But today my calloused, hurting hands and sunburned cheeks can testify to my hard work.
Back story, a bunch of guys I know are living in a huge house off of Victoria Street in Costa Mesa. They have a decent sized backyard and a side yard on the right side of their property. This is where the cultivating takes place. I'd say the space is probably bigger than the kitchen area I am currently sitting in. It was FULL of weeds and dry gross dirt until yesterday, when we finished pulling all the weeds and Nic roto-tilled a large section. Toward the end of the day we (and by we I mean Bethany, Ryan, Nic, Jamie and I) stood around drinking lemonade, discussing our dreams for the plot of earth are feet were in.
Cilantro, beans, sunflowers, carrots, a pumpkin for Halloween, a pumpkin patch, a Christmas tree farm, chickens, cows, possibly a horse. I would tell you the rest, but they may be to ridiculous to list here. We returned later that night to find Nic standing, alone in the dark, in the garden absorbing the excitement of it all. We quickly joined him.
No comments:
Post a Comment