Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Troublemaking Teeth Lovers

One of my biggest pet peeves? When the girl cleaning your teeth at the dentist office starts telling stories and asking you questions..do they honestly want you to respond? Do they actually think one is physically capable of holding a conversation with pokey things and sucker tubes in ones mouth?

Today I went to the dentist for the third time in about two weeks. (Long story short: Rebekah hit my left front tooth when we were in the ocean. It died, consequently I had to have a root canal..yeeecchh). So the receptionist has gone from a friendly sort of hello to slight giggle and a "hey you're firmiliar" sort of comment. Im to the point where I'm rubbin' elbows with the staff and asking them how their kids are and how their dates went last night (well, almost anyway).

But after my teeth are back to their pearly-whiteness state the dentist comes in, checks for cavities and asks me about school (again, am I supposed to reply?). Of course I tell him about Oxford and he gets excited. I guess a couple of summers ago he went and did a class on C.S. Lewis there. So he starts telling me about all these great pubs and stuff he did...fun guy, cool conversation. Well, we get home and my mom gets a call from him and he starts apologizing for going on about pubs and fun they had drinking (as I'm dying laughing). I guess he felt bad and wanted to apologize. Oh dentists—gotta keep an eye on those ones.

No comments: