Friday, February 26, 2010

adventures with eli


This morning Eli and I hung around the playground a bit after Ryan went into his class. We walked around on the grass and enjoyed the playground a bit. At one point he ran over to the swings and leaning onto the seat moved forward a bit and exclaimed "weeeeee!". 

I sat down on the swing and set him on my lap, facing me. Caleb and Rebekah and I do this all the time. They face me and put their legs on either side of me and we swing and giggle and make faces at each other. I attempted this same thing with Eli, knowing Caleb always gets a kick out of it. Except this time not so much. After about a minute he said "up, up, please" (which really means down in Eli language) and so I consented. He immediately ran over to another swing and leaning into it so it would move a bit said "weeeee!". 

Sometimes I think we are a lot like this. In our lives we go about day to day doing the same things and enjoy them quite a lot. However I do think that sometimes God wants to pick us up, sit us facing him and swing as high as the bar–wind blowing in our faces and tickles in our tummies. But there are times when we say, "no thanks, not today" and settle for just the smallest movement by our own actions. 

No comments: