Sunday, November 9, 2008

sunday

This morning our breakfast conversation had to do with linguistic social differences between the upper and lower class. Apparently, lower class people say "what?" instead of "pardon?" and couch instead of sofa. Upper class people, the posh, put milk and sugar into their tea cups first (because good porcelain breaks if it heats up to quickly) and the lower class people add it after their tea. Also, as our wonderful Junior Dean informed us, (as a posh british man he should know) one should refer to a delightful tea buscuit as a scone, with a short O sound, like on.

Our breakfast conversations are often like this, lunch is reserved for what we are reading and discussion of the lectures we have attended that day, and dinner is mostly politics, economics, religion and st. augustine, post-colonialism, and sarcastic banter.

But right now I am in my room, reading. This week its Revenge Tragedy of the Thomas Kyd and John Webster kind. Plus 5 or 6 secondary sources. Its sunny outside, or at least it was 5 minutes ago, and I can hear the churchbells from St. Giles echoing through Oxfordshire (pronounced Oxfordsher). There will be tea later this afternoon but until then, I will read.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a pretty good sunday.

DesiraƩ Rochelle said...

This is how life should be.
Soak it up while your their love... for I fear you might loose some of this conversation on your flight back.