Wednesday, November 19, 2008

sometimes i forget

Often I find myself so used to this place I forget it isn't normal that I am here. I live with 24 other Americans so it isn't hard. I forget that I'm not at home, that I'm living in a foreign country and that I'll be leaving soon.

And then as I walk down Broad street I look up and see a huge British flag being blown in the wind. A British man knocks on my door and asks if my radiator is broken (which it is) and he uses words like nappy, rubbish, and says "I'll see if I can sort it out for ya" but doesn't actually say any of the "t" sounds in that phrase. I am realizing more and more that the time is going faster and that I have begun to feel at home here. Sometimes it results in taking the little things for granted. I don't really like that.

2 comments:

Drea said...

That's called final consonant deletion of the /t/ phoneme :) Unless he's substituting it with a glottal stop..then it's a substitution:) I love YOU!

Sharon said...

Andrea - You so crack me up! I thought you were trying to leave work at WORK! Love it! And you! Both of you!