Written about the Salem witch trials, Miller captures your attention with dialogue and a conniving plot line. It starts out giving a picture of Salem as a place where there is spiritual and political tension among the people. Some of the young girls are caught "dancing" in the forest late one night (the forest being a symbol of evil and darkness). The town explodes and everyone becomes heated for reasons particular to each situation. Abigail, before long, begins to name names of other women and men in the town she believes associated with witchcraft in order to save her own.
Most interesting about this piece is that Miller wrote it as commentary to McCarthyism and the Red Scare in the United States. The Cold War and Communism created social and political tensions, and as in Salem, the people found a scapegoat in trying to pinpoint their fears in people. In both instances the authority disregarded people as people and took the word of anyone shouting out names. No one needed proof to hang a woman as a witch, nor did they to convince the world someone was a communist and thus ruin their entertainment career.
This play is captivating, I recommend you read it–even better go see it. The film with Daniel Day Lewis is excellent after reading the script.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!" –John Proctor
No comments:
Post a Comment