This afternoon I attended my last class. I didn't hit me driving there, or walking in but when I sat down my friend Kristin looked over at me and asked, "is this your last class?". Then, then was the moment I realized that the day had come. In the beginning people said "you'll graduate from college and then you won't have to go to school ever again" and in my elementary mind that wasn't even something I could grasp. In high school college felt like this huge weight, expected of me and the final days there were just the beginning of something new. But today I sat for the last time at Vanguard at a table listening to a lecture, learning in order to somehow better myself or prove to the world that I, in fact, am intelligent. Post-college...what's that like? Right now it feels like an empty abyss with bits and pieces starting to formulate in my mind, a few hopes and dreams I have for myself.
I'm done with sixteen years of school. Done and I don't have to go again if I decide not to–but I want to, thats the thing.
Today in our last class of Renaissance and Reformation we talked about the counter-Reformation and the Council of Trent. The response of the Catholic church to the Reformation was formational for the church as a whole. They cemented a canon, took and left some Reformation ideas and reformed the way the leadership of the church were educated. Ed then shared with us his opinion that the Reformation is indeed over, and stressed how important it is for each denomination, or group of believers in the church should thus cooperate, and live like we actually want to. Rather than continue to argue and disown each other like the Reformation is still going on. It's not.
I'm so blessed to have had this as my last class at Vanguard. This specific professor is one of the best I have ever learned from and considering I had the best Kindergarten teacher as well (Mrs. Sperry) I will consider this process a success.
Thanks Ed, for making it memorable.

1 comment:
sixteen years and many more to follow -- we are very proud of every one those years- great job
Post a Comment