Friday, April 9, 2010

kean

I went to one of my usual coffee shops–this one being lighter, more open air, business like, friendly, and talkative– to get some reading done. Sometimes I'm just tired of being in my room you know? 

Upon my arrival I see some Vanguard friends, who are all enrolled in graduate school now. Some at Vanguard, some at Fuller. So I join them in reading escapades and talk about school, how it often is accompanied by the want to be done. I like finding these guys around, because in my desire to accomadate I feel motivated to stay focused on what I am reading and not let them see me daydreaming. They are grad students after all. After a while they left to eat dinner and I was left to myself. 

About an hour later a couple in their upper 30s walks in and greet the women sitting at a table in front of me. "You still at Rock Harbor?" (a local church in Costa Mesa) I thought I caught one woman ask. They sit down next to me, order hot chocolate and begin a game of cards. About 15 minutes later I hear, 

"Are you reading that for a Rybarczyk class?" And look over to see that he is in fact talking to me. 

"Why yes, yes I am" I reply and begin a good conversation with Eric and Cathy about Vanguard, graduation and future plans. I love when people are genuinely interested in what you have to say. I found out that he took the same Renaissance and Reformation class from Ed (my professor) while finishing up his graduate work. They left after a while, a smile on my face. 

Just before 9:30–Kean advertises closing at 9, however if you are there they will just clean around you until 930– I see a couple that I went on my first San Francisco trip through Vanguard with. Kelsi and Brian, who stopped for a minute to catch up. Since they graduated I have seen them a handful of times around the community and really enjoy their company. 

Just a good night for relationships really. 

No comments: