Monday, May 4, 2009

books books books

I counted the books that currently reside in my room the other day- 68.

Yesterday I went up to John Mark and Cristina Robeck's parent's house in Pasadena, (we had the best day). Their house is amazing firstly. It has all the old character of a house built back in the days when California was just getting going. Big freestanding bathtubs, doors with cracks and mismatched handles, big windows, deep kitchen sinks with old faucets, a porch and a certain homeyness that is hard to find. Plus, like any good house, there are people coming out of the wood works.

At one point John Mark told me to peek into his dad's office. I was astounded. There are books literally covering every space and surface possible. Stacks of books, shelves of books, books piled on the floor and books stacked on the shelves of books. It reminded me of the office one of my English profs once inhabited, only a bit more intense. They then went on to tell and show me that his office at work, he is a professor at Fuller Theological Seminary, is bigger. With more books.

One day I hope to acquire a library such as this. My 68 felt pretty dismal yesterday.

No comments: