Tuesday, December 9, 2008

to follow a perfect night

Saturday morning I woke up to Amanda saying, "Ashley do you want to get up and go for a walk with us?" I looked at my little alarm clock, 7:15. Still dark out. Decide...decide...yes. Stumble out of bed. Jeans. Socks. Sweatshirt. Shoes....shoes? where are they? I put on Jessi's huge parka and walked downstairs.

Waiting for me on the counter was a huge cup of coffee. Christye, Amanda and Christy all looked as tired as I felt, but we were doin it, no going back. We started out, after drinking our coffee first, and walked along the backside of the park through the neighborhood, away from the city. We walked and walked and then got to a huge open field. We looked back at the city, across the field, sun rising on our left. From there we could see the spires of the Lower Camera and the church on High Street-as well as our breath in the icy cold air. It was literally freezing out.

We took the long way back, up to Headington Hill and back into town via the bikepath that runs through the park. We stopped on the bridge, and ubsorbed the early morning sunshine for a minute. Then we quickly navigated our way to Greens, delighted that we had managed to come out on St. Giles street directly across from it. Its amazing to think that just 3 months ago we didn't even know what St. Giles street was called, let alone how to get there.

We got coffee and went upstairs to the couch. And started to process leaving. We talked about home, what we are going to miss, and what we will do differently once we get back. It is crazy to think I haven't known these girls all my life.

We walked back to Crick and found everyone in the kitchen eating breakfast. I was so full of joy, first the Trout, then an unforgetable walk through Oxford.

2 comments:

Cristina Robeck said...

I LOVE reading about your adventures! Can't wait to see you soon!

ashley said...

I am SO excited to see YOU!