Sunday, December 7, 2008

best night of my life


On Friday night I was so privilaged to have three of the most amazing guys come over to cook dinner with me. We made chicken fajitas, nachoes and Ciraulo made his most famouse guacamole (almost as good as Cristina's). We turned up Noah and the Whale and had a great time goofing around in the kitchen, and what followed was the most amazing meal. Not only did we eat but Rob, Lindsey and Kohleun ate as well. Such a feast!

Around 8 some other people from The Vines came down to Crick, picked us up and we walked from our house to the Trout Pub.

Here is the thing about this pub, its a long ways away. We walked through North Oxford for a bit, a beautiful neighborhood, and then came to a bridge. Once over the bridge its about a two mile walk through Port Meadow. There were about 15 amazing people that went, including the guys, and we were walking and talking about school, theology, missions, family, leaving and so much more. It has been raining recently so the path was a bit muddy, but all part of the adventure. On the left of us was a big open field, to the right, the river Thames. All along the way were trees and little gates to go through. There is an old abandoned Abbey close to the pub and the Poplar trees we walked under were the same trees Gerard Manley Hopkins writes about. This was C.S. Lewis' favorite pub, he and Tolkein would walk out to it when they needed a retreat from the busy hustle bustle of Oxford. It was magical to walk under the trees and stars next to the river, talking and laughing with people I love.

On the way home we were all a little hyper, probably from the guys running ahead, hiding in the dark and then scaring us. I was walking with a group of 6 amazing guys, who were at this point running and jumping over puddles, joking around and being super loud. On the way home the lights from the city in the distance reflected off the puddles so that we could see them. Which made for faster walking. I discovered that my friend Dave likes to sail, and we talked about that for a long time. I got really excited. They came back to Crick, I filled them up with coffee and then they went home to study a bit more. Saturday morning I woke up, giddy in my heart because of how amazing and full of joy I felt. Such an amazing night.

No comments: