Friday, March 4, 2011

San Antonio Express News

A friend of mine knows the head editor of the SA Express News--for the Californian readers, that is the local newspaper, like the Modesto Bee or the Orange County Register--and was wonderful enough to send him my resume and a cover letter.

Yesterday morning I went down the SA Express, without knowing what to expect, and met Dino, the recruiting editor for the paper. I sat down in his office and he gave me an overview of the newspaper and then ran through my schedule for the morning. Yes, he had scheduled 4 hours for me, full of meetings, introductions, and even lunch.

Here are the things I am excited about:

-I met with Jamie Stockwell-the lead editor for the Metro section of the Express. She has a team of 20 to 30 reporters and editors that help her put together one of the most important sections of the paper. She pitches stories for the front page and we have both worked in Washington DC.

-I got to sit in on a front page meeting and watch how the editors come together and talk about what stories will go on the front page.

- I met with Terry Bertling and Steve Bennett - Terry is the lead editor for Features and Steve is the Book Editor for the Express. He reads and writes book reviews for the Sunday paper. We talked about my time in Oxford, how they got started in what they do and before we left he asked if I would be interested in writing some reviews on some Young Adult fiction for him. It would be my pleasure sir.

-I met with Richard Erickson. Richard is the lead editor of five small community newspapers called the Prime Time papers. These papers focus on five specific communities in San Antonio and cover things like school board meetings, local law enforcement, high school events and zoning. As they are small they each have one editor and one writer and most of the time the two are also doing the photography for their stories. I'm going to ask if I can shadow one or two of them and learn a little about photojournalism, and possibly start to take pictures for their papers myself.

-I went to lunch at Paloma Blanca with the Prime Time editors, and it was truly wonderful.

-I met with Brett Thacker, the Managing Editor for the Express, the man that all of the lead editors report to and talked to him about how to get started at a paper.

-Before I left I stopped in to Richard's office to say thank you, he sounded like he had just as great a time as I did. 

4 comments:

Ryan Marie said...

I literally could not stop smiling as I read this. Congrats lady. Can't wait to talk about this :)

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! You are going places, darling. So rad!

Unknown said...

So frightfully exciting !!!!

Unknown said...

This world you've described...it becomes you. Perfectly.