Saturday, March 19, 2011

Regulars

I looked up, and as he handed me a book he said, "I think you're going to like it, just get it back to me when you're done". 

My regulars are really starting to grow on me. Working in a coffee shop it's expected you see the same people coming in to get their coffee with room, triple cappaccinos extra dry, or grande iced coffee with three pumps of hazelnut in a venti cup. Todd, Betty, and Demitri (respectively) are just a few of the people I get to see everyday, and make sure their drinks are perfect. You wouldn't believe the smiles on people's faces when you have their drink ready when they get to the counter. 

Todd brought me in a book by Raymond Khouri a few days ago, after we got to talking about books and which authors we like. Coffee draws people from every age, race, interest, and lifestyle. I met a man who was 90 yesterday, and got to chat with a woman who was recovering from a stroke the day before that. I get to smile, laugh at their jokes, receive fresh breakfast tacos, and make their days significantly better. Sometimes I give free refills, sometimes I hand out free drinks just because I can, and other times I think a smile does the trick. 

It's amazing when "How's your day going?" turns an order back into a person. 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Matt has become a regular at one of our local Starbucks and they're quite enamored with Amariah. When she's not with him, they ask about her, when she is, they make a special little cup with extra whip just for her! And another regular gives her the occasional gift! So I agree that a coffee shop is a friendly place to be! Or maybe it's the little 4 year old who's too cute to resist!? Sounds like you're doing well Ashley! I'm happy for you! But we miss you!