Wednesday, September 30, 2009

feels like fall

My roommate Bethany and I have been obsessed with fall ever since the first football game a few weeks ago. And even though its still about 80degrees in the middle of the day we have been trying to enjoy things like chai tea and jackets. There are leaves falling in the park and we listen to Bon Iver. There is even a pumpkin that has taken up residency in our kitchen.

Our friends look at us like where crazy, strangers watch us curiously as we take pictures on our phones of fall-esque things and send them to each other. But yet for some reason I feel like today came a little different than yesterday, a little cooler, a little cozier, and with a little more colour.


Summer ends now; now, barbarous in beauty, the stooks rise
Around; up above what wind-walks! what lovely behavior
Of silk-sack clouds! has wilder, wilful-wavier
meal-drift moulded ever and melted across skies?

I walk, I lift up, I lift up heart, eyes,
Down all that glory in the heavens to glean our Saviour;
And eyes, heart, what looks, what lips yet gave you a
Rapturous love's greeting of realer, of rounder replies?

And the azurous hung hills are his world-wielding shoulder
Majestic-as a stallion stalward, very-violet-sweet!-
These things, these things were here and but the beholder
Wanting; which two when they once meet,
The heart rears wings bold and bolder
And hurls for him, O half hurls earth for him off
under his feet.


-G.M.H.

No comments: