I got invited to a church fiesta on Saturday. I had been to this church a few times previously, and for those of you who know me, know that church potlucks are probably one of my all time favorite things.
The fiesta was held in a large park in the Mission Viejo area. Once we get there people start playing basketball, football, and frisbee just to name a few things. I felt a little shy among so many new people, but never out of place or unwelcome. There were children everywhere running around and playing games. Families were laughing and talking and setting up food. I played some frisbee, and a game of bocce ball, one of my favorite games.
Then came the food. Dishes and dishes of food. It was a fiesta, so most of them were of the Mexican food tradition. They had corn as well. I have never had it like this but there was some sort of butter-cornmeal-spice deliciousness all over it. Basically I ate way to much, and did not regret it at all. We threw around a baseball and watched the kids break open the pinata (I was a little sad that I am now to old to participate in this event).
But I feel like the best part about the entire evening happened after my friend James started banging a wiffle-ball bat on a megaphone calling everyone over for a game. Two teams, made up of probably entirely to many people each. On a big open field there were bases set up and each team consisted of men women, college students and young children. We all cheered and yelled for teammates. Jokes were made, friends were teased, teammates were encouraged and I quickly got over the fact that I haven't played anything like baseball since the 8th grade. We played as the sun was setting over the hills in the distance. The sky was lit up in a beautiful sunset and the game ended well after we couldn't see anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment