Tuesday, September 1, 2009

high tea

Today was jam packed full of crazy, but right in the middle of it was the most delightful tea party. It was straight out of Alice and Wonderland, Mad Hatter and all.

Mad Hatter- Would you like a little more tea?
Alice- Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more.
March Hare- Ah, you mean you can't very well take less.
Mad Hatter- Yes. You can always take more than nothing.

There were cucumber sandwiches, cheese sandwiches and, in keeping with Robeck tradition, sandwiches with avocado, tomato and cilantro. Each of us had our own little teapot, even Caleb (our Mad Hatter in question). There was dill cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and Cheetos. Sugar and cream for our tea and chocolate digestives, in the English tradition. Cristina, Rebekah and I wore pretty dresses and cute shoes as well. I think one must when there is lace on the table.

Caleb, being 3 and not yet accustomed to such finery, was a delight to watch. Quite creative in his choice of food too. I think he maybe had three, which may be an exaggeration, sips of tea. He would prepare it, let it cool and then decide he wanted new tea, tea of a different colour or more sugar in the next cup.

Mad Hatter- Do you care for tea?
Alice- Why, yes. I'm very fond of tea.
March Hare- If you don't care for tea, you could at least make polite conversation!

Mad Hatter- Clean cup, clean cup. Move down! Move down!







pictures taken by Cristina Robeck