Monday, March 1, 2010

Synecdoche

Currently sitting in my senior capstone class. We are working on putting together the journal for this year and have come up against censoring by the department. My classmates are fighting for freedom of speech and for their works to be published. It is interesting because Synecdoche came out of an organic poetry class, as a spiral bound copy of student's work for the semester. Now we are dealing with censorship, representing the university, and opinions of outsiders. I wish it could just stay organic, stay uncomplicated and a true representation of a body of student's work. But I guess that's part of the down side to having something be recognized. My opinion is that we can't please everyone so we might as well do what we want anyway. The pieces that got pulled are well written (diction, rhetoric, plot, originality) and interesting and I think they should go in on grounds such as that, rather than be judged for language or content. 

Were working on final selections for who wins money this week. Hannah and I are selecting final photography entries this week as well as determining the order of the journal. Thoughts about it? I'm excited, I feel like I haven't done much work on it thus far but that should change– I have to write an intro and coordinate some things in the next couple weeks. It feels good to be involved in literary endeavors that I would love to be involved in the rest of my life. 

1 comment:

Cristina Robeck said...

De Paz just bought a full page ad in it!