Saturday, March 20, 2010

san francisco

   .   .   .
reverberating of walls
the noise rises up, 
out
thundering into space
this city calls, 
shouts. 
early dawn hits
its face
and I sit
and wait–
contemplating this place. 
   .   .   . 

This week in the city was incredible. A team of 22 students blew me away with how they stepped up, the conversations they had and the way they served. I have learned so much from them. The city captured my heart again, and how could it not? I walked down 24th street between Potrero and Mission every day. I sat in the Haight with street kids who have the most amazing philosophies about life and carry their names with pride- Creelle, Scottage Cheese, and Mushroom.

"Thank you sir, for having a job and supporting our crappy economy. Because, apparently money is what makes people, people" –Eric 

Art surrounded me constantly. I was encouraged to meet and see friends again. I woke up each morning to the sun rising over the city, slowly warming the darkness away. 


No comments: