Saturday, October 25, 2008

to substitute, not replace, alta


Yesterday my friend Danny and I decided to get some lunch while we took a break from the Library. He said "where do you wanna go?" I said "somewhere warm". It was freezing yesterday. So he said, ok I'll take you to my favorite coffee shop.

So we walked down Cornmarket Street, down St. Giles and ducked into a little place called Green's, which happens to share a wall with the famous Eagle and Child pub (which I still havent been to yet cause I heard its not that good). Green's is fairly inexpensive, always a plus, and I noticed within the first 5 min. of being there that the music they play is good (Coldplay, David Grey, Beatles, Iron and Wine). We got some coffee and a muffin and headed upstairs. Most places in Oxford used to be houses, but now that they are restaurants you order downstairs and there is seating upstairs...even McDonalds. I was delightfully surprised by the accomodations upstairs. There is a room to the left with a window that overlooks the street, lots of tables and chairs, a fireplace and art on the walls. In the room on the right there are more tables, two windows and some couches. In this room there are pictures of El Capitan and Half Dome, from someones random adventure. We grabbed a seat on the couch and talked and ate and then he asked me to teach him how to draw (like it would just take a few minutes) so we did...for about an hour. It was so pleasant.

Then today I got up and went down to Green's again. The Bodley doesnt open until 10 on saturdays so I spent some time reading Much Ado About Nothing first, which is the play Im reading for my Shakespeare tutorial this week. After the Bod closed at 4 Koleun and I went back to this wonderful little coffee shop, got tea and a smile from the girl behind the counter, and sat reading until 7. (well, almost 7)

Needless to say, I found a new hangout spot.

No comments: