Last night I had my early british literature (1509-1620) tutorial at Regents Park College with Dr. Richard Lawes. It is my primary tutorial, meaning that I meet with him once a week, and my essay this week was on John Donne.
I found out a few days ago just how incredible this Richard Lawes is. He lives in London, so he has a hour to an hour and a half commute everyday. Not only is he a tutor in Oxford but he also has students at Magdalen College at Cambridge University. He also is a doctor of medicine so two days a week he works in a hospital. He carries a toothbrush in the left inside pocket of his jacket, an umbrella on most days, even if its not raining and wears a gold wedding band on his left hand.
Anyway, it was a really good tutorial. We talked about the paradox that Donne employs in his poetry, the fact that he talks about love and God using the same words and image and how he wrestles with his faith.
My tutorial is at 20:00 in town, so I have to walk a ways in the dark. Last night before I left I asked my friends TJ (Biola) and Dave (Waynesburg PA) to walk me down so I wouldnt have to walk by myself. Teej said "hmm...your tutorial is an hour? Dave, what in the world could we do for an hour while we wait for Ashley?" Dave replied in his slight PA accent "Im pretty sure there are more than 69 pubs open in Oxford that would gladly accommodate" Keep in mind that these are the boys that are determined to try every pub in Oxford before they leave. :) So they walked me there and picked me up and then we had a pleasant, but brisk, walk home.
No comments:
Post a Comment