Monday, October 6, 2008

a little farmhouse in the kinzig valley

Today, there was painting.


This morning I woke up in a little farmhouse, with a view out my window of the Black Forest. It was cloudy, but I was hopeful. I got up, took the most wonderful shower in 3 weeks, and went down and ate breakfast with my cousin Stefan and his wife Silvia.


After breakfast I went down in front of the house to paint. Its tucked into a hillside surrounded by green fields, an apple orchard and dark evergreen trees. As I painted the clouds came and went and I took a few breaks for coffee. It was incredibly relaxing..to sit, paint, play with their cat, and then turn around and look down at the Kinzig valley and Haslach at the bottom of it.
You see, this house is 270 years old and my great great great grandparents built it. Stefan grew up here and it has been a unique symbol of togetherness for my family. Many people lived here and there are many, many pictures of family together in front of it.

And today (monday) I painted it for my mom.




1 comment:

Laurel said...

Ash! Call me! Try this number: 02078558940...it's supposed to be this free international calling thing, I'm not sure. But call me! I was gonna call your school, but you aren't there! So call me!