This afternoon Bethany and I walked over to water the community garden at the guy's house. I threw some green beans that I bought last week into my bag, determined to get them in the ground today.
Mission accomplished.
In the late afternoon sun we walked the three or four blocks to their place. Bethany watered the watermelons, tomatoes, corn, peppers and squash. In our bare feet, headbands and cut off shorts we weeded the soil to perfection. I made two rows at the back of the garden, near the fence and pushed the green beans into the soil, just far enough apart. After I went back and watered a little more.
I love the feeling of dirt between my toes, under my fingernails and in my hair. I feel connected with the earth when I make things grow, like somehow I am really doing what God put us here to do; to take care of the land and make it beautiful. Plus I am really excited to plant the jalapenos and onions that I bought this afternoon as well. (We accidentally forgot them when we left the house, actually now that I think about it they may still be in the car.)
No comments:
Post a Comment