Friday, June 12, 2009

californian

I felt a little admiration for my native state today; driving up the 5, the big orange sun hanging low in the sky spilling a reflection of colour onto the freeway. I spent the day laying and playing in the sun at Newport Beach. Then I went out with some friends and there was still sand in my hair and between my toes. The warm air blew through my car all night as I drove back and forth between Costa Mesa and Santa Ana. I sat in traffic today, and I also went with the speed of traffic at 75 or 80 miles an hour. I woke up this morning to cold clouds and sat in the sun 6 hours later. I noticed they did street sweeping on the 55 south and it looks dang good. But then I got off the freeway and garbage piles litter the off ramp at Victoria Street. I had the greatest day yet, the sunburn creeping up my lower back reminds me that I should have made better choices. Tonight I sit in my kitchen in Coastal Southern California, and tomorrow night I will sneak into my kitchen in the Sierra Nevada's of Northern California and look for a snack. Tonight, though I can't see it, I sleep under a blanket of haze that keeps me from seeing the universe around me. Tomorrow night, I will stand under a sky filled with thousands and thousands of stars and feel like I am right in the middle of it.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Two worlds vastly different but both good in their own ways huh??