Monday, October 11, 2010

the trains don't run on columbus day

Apparently people in Maryland take vacations on Columbus day. I, being from California, don't remember the last time I thought about Columbus day being any different than the rest.

You know the feeling when you show up to school on a late start day, or a holiday and there are no students outside, no cars in the parkinglot and everyone seems to know something you don't? That is presicely how I felt this morning when I pulled into the empty MARC train station, expecting to catch the 8:20 train.

Instead I drove to New Carrolton, having no traffic problems as most people aren't going to work today, and got on the Metro. I find quickly that the Metro Center station is out of service and thus have to transfer lines twice in order to make it up to Dupont Circle. What made all this worth the trouble was a little boy that got on three stops before I got off the train.

Red curly haired boy, about four years old, wearing a plaid shirt was wide eyed as he followed mom and dad onto the train. So excited he couldn't decide where to sit, wanting to sit all by himself. The train was leaving the station and he picked a spot. Feet dangling from the seat he looked around like it was Christmas. Every stop he would yell, "I can hear the brakes going off!" to anyone who was listening. To the everyday-annoyed-that-the-station-is-closed commuter, this little one was a breath of fresh air.

No comments: