Tuesday, October 26, 2010

fringe benefits

A few years back I was visiting with some friends over a fall holiday and found myself crammed on the couch, overly full--as often happens in their home--about to watch a movie. I hadn't recognized the name of the film but everyone was excited to watch it together. As the opening scene came on and Eddy Vedder's voice captured my heart I noticed at the bottom of the screen a black bar that read, "for critical viewing only". You see, a friend of a friend rates movies and writes reviews for them and apparently passes them along every once in a while.

I watched Into the Wild about a month before it was publicly released.

Working in a publishing house also comes with its perks. Yes, yesterday morning I came in and checked an index (which basically means I used it, for about thirty different entries, to make sure they were correct) which is one of the most tedious tasks I have ever done. But yesterday afternoon Steve Palumbi came into give a presentation about his book The Death and Life of Monterrey Bay. He has told a beautiful story about the rebirth of the bay and the characters who come alive in it are not only the people who fought for Monterrey Bay, but the animals and the ecosystem that has found its way to life again.

I have in my lap an uncorrected proof galley of his book--which is scheduled to be released later this week.

No comments: