Thursday, November 19, 2009

one on ones

There is a tradition at Vanguard that I have not seen in any other place. They are called, specifically, "one on ones". As a freshman I went into my first one with the premonition that said staff member would ask me questions all about myself and dissect me and tell me what I needed to work on. Like a sort of therapist. I was partially correct. 

What I have found however is that after one, maybe two of these relationship starts to happen and wisdom starts coming from so many places. This week, wait let me look at my calendar, I have 6 different coffee/lunch/breakfast dates with individual people whom I love. That is not counting the meals I will share with friends. 

This afternoon I am getting coffee with a beloved professor. I had a meeting with my SFO director already this afternoon and on Friday I am having lunch with a previous RD and friend. I feel like I am packed with people this week. It makes for a difficult time getting all my schoolwork done, however I'm sure most of my learning is supposed to happen outside of class anyway right? 

2 comments:

James David said...

I remember when I was an RA my RD and I would walk to the gas station, fill up huge 64 oz. cup of soda, and then walk through the neighborhoods in Costa Mesa for an hour or so.

Needless to say we began walking faster as time drew to a close.

may, samantha e. said...

Something I will miss about vanguard. Luckily it shall be an incorporation in life, hopefully.