Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thoughts for Boston

"Write something about it,"

I was told this by one of my regulars, Harvard Business professor Nancy Kohen. I attended her class this evening, in anticipation of hearing the CEO of my company speak. In light of the events at the Boston Marathon yesterday, he was unable to attend.

Instead I heard her lecture on leadership in outer turmoil, with inner strength.

Often in the immediate aftermath we don't see clearly. The beginning stage of knowledge is understanding, and often in this stage we are only just coming to terms with the facts. Yesterday afternoon my phone received over twenty messages, loved ones checking in with me to make sure we were okay. It wasn't until a few hours later I began to fully understand what had happened just ten miles away.

How we chose to respond is important. We can't do anything about the circumstances, but how we respond is where we have agency. We can either chose to drown in the river of media, fear, and isolation--or we can get a ladder, climb up, and rise above the fear and darkness. It is only this way that we can overcome and redeem. We are not called to live in a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and sound minds.

In all circumstances do not focus on all the wrong. Chose one good thing, do it, tell someone about it, and then do the next good thing. The struggle does not end, but the struggle is not without joy and satisfaction. We need a strong and joyful attitude in the light of calamity. I admit, last night this was hard for me, but this morning was a new day.

No comments: