Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Feels Like Summer: The North End


If ever there was a night to wander through Boston, Saturday night was it.

James and I went with the pastor of our church and his wife, Brian and Cathy Emmet, down to the North End in Boston, which is traditionally the Italian quarter. We took the T into the city and it was clear then that everyone else had the same idea. We walked up Hanover street, amongst crowds of laughing, yelling, happy people.

The breeze that drifted by us smelled of garlic bread and ocean mist.

We had dinner at Rabia's and like many of the restaurants there it is small, packed full of people, and the food is completely delicious. I had the butternut squash ravioli. I want to cry just thinking about it, it was that good. Butternut squash ravioli in creamy gorgonzola sauce with a balsamic reduction glaze.

Yum doesn't cut it.

After dinner we walked down and along the harbor filling ourselves with ocean air and ventured back up to Hanover. Now full of lights and music as well as people we decided to wait in line for cannolis. On my summer to-do list was "cannolis on the greenway" and we did just that. With sweet pastries we sat and looked at the Boston city lights, with two lovely friends, and chatted. I'm telling you, people here know how to do summer better than anyone.

No comments: