Wednesday, September 15, 2010

seconds

My second day of internship was wonderful. I feel like I learn so much everyday (listen to me, it's only the second one!) This morning I learned how to begin what is called a "castoff". Basically the most important part of the production process as it estimates how long the book will be and what it will look like. From this cost is generated. From this printers are found. From this editors are hired and manuscripts are typeset.

It's my job to get it perfect.

But I also want to talk about yesterday. I decided to brave the metro home and find my way by myself. Some wise words reminded me that the best way to find your way is to get lost. I figured thats the worst that could happen so I went for it. Proud of myself I returned to Elkridge on the 5:16 train without any problems.

Let me preface the next part with this: when you get off the train all the passengers have to wait on one side of the tracks until everyone has unloaded. Then the train leaves and when the tracks are clear all the passengers walk over the tracks to the other side, where the parking lot is located.

Proud of myself I hear that my stop is next and begin to gather my things. Binders, my purse, an apple I had been eating all are in my arms as I stand up with my fellow commuters to unboard. I stand patiently in line waiting for my turn.

I get to the stairs and on the first of six I trip. Everything flies out of my hands. I proceed to fall down the stairs face first and off the train onto the sidewalk. Into the sea of people waiting for the train to leave.

Happy first day in Washington, D.C. Laugh it up.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh Ashley! I love you!

Cristina Robeck said...

So classic!

Diana said...

That's our Ashley! We love you so much xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Oh my goodness.