Tuesday, June 15, 2010

love my job

I post about my nannying jobs a lot. Mostly because there are lots of adventures or unique families and children I meet and interact with. A lot of times I look down at the dash and realize I have 10 minutes before I'm expected to arrive and I'm lost, and running out of gas. Other times I am handed screaming children and get smiles from parents as they walk out the door. I can look completely confident in myself to the observer, but on the inside all I can think to do is call my mom. Yet on the other hand sometimes I surprise myself–I'm pretty great at convincing kids they want to go to bed or that another cookie probably isn't a good idea. 

But with some of the jobs I say yes to, there are definite perks. 

I arrived yesterday at the Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Coast. The valet then takes me, in a Bentley, to the villa where I will be sitting. Today I meet them at their pool-side cabana and enjoy myself for a while. One of the women walks over and says, "So I'm not sure if you care but Gwen Stefani and her husband are over there by the pool." Most of me doesn't care, but it is just another moment when I realize the strange situations my job puts me in. After the kids were in bed I read, drank tea, enjoyed chocolates left by the turndown service and a sunset on the terrace. 

No comments: