Saturday, January 9, 2010

youd boys

When I met Ryan Youd he, at an age much too young, was showing me colours like "pink" and "violet". The next time I watched him I read him some books and he would stop me and say, "no you missed the 'and'" and "wait you forgot the middle line" because he was reading along with me. I drove him to school last year on Wednesday afternoons, "Ashley Wells! You're here it's so good to see you!" he would exclaim upon my arrival and then give me detailed directions to his school as we drove, at age 4. Today I hung out with Ryan and this morning he was finishing up his homework, writing sentences using his new vocabulary words- things like "kangaroo" and "kitten". He's in Kindergarten this year. I didn't learn how to read until the first grade. His social skills are incredible and he communicates really well. Such a joy to hang out with and be around. He understands language, has a memory for numbers, names and sequences. It is really fun to see him play and pretend and then talk about his friends (who are my friends) and say their first and last names.

Ryan has a little brother, Eli, who was born while I was in Oxford last fall. While Ryan was at school the last couple days I got to hang out with the sweetest peanut of a boy. He has big brown eyes and is learning so many words and how to repeat them. Except "up" also means down. Ball, car, walk, and "No Way!" are some of the words he uses the most. He loves playing with Ryan and I and joining in with whatever fun new game Ryan imagines up. He knows the ASL sign for "more" and used it a lot today while sitting in my lap reading books.

Wonderful boys, I had the greatest day hanging out with them.

No comments: