Monday, January 11, 2010

nervous

I'm sitting at my desk with the last three publications of the Vanguard Literary Journal.

A bit of background: As a student at Vanguard I am required to take a Capstone class as a senior. As an English major the primary focus on this class is to formulate, compile, market and add personalized touches to the Vanguard Literary Journal, Synecdoche.

Today in class it was pretty much decided that I, along with another classmate, will hold the title "Editor in Chief" or CE for short.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Technically, this is what I want to do with my career. I have a passion for reading, literature and creativity. I want to edit. This will look great on a CV at some point. So why would I not want to do this? I'm nervous I think, of failing mostly. I mostly don't know what I'm doing. I have doubts about myself and actually being able to do a great job with this, and I'm not really satisfied with anything other than great. I have the time, I'm only taking 12 units this semester and I have a job that is ridiculously flexible. Yet I cannot handle another semester like my last one, where I was too busy to breathe. Should I doubt myself? Shoot, I studied at Oxford for goodness sake. Yet, it's a big responsibility right?

Maybe I just need some encouragement.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Without a doubt, YOU CAN DO IT!

Anonymous said...

Go Oxford Ash! You can do it, you will be great. Just make sure you slow down, take your time, enjoy it, and proofread proofread proofread!

Loooove.

Cristina Robeck said...

You are more amazing than you know and way smarter than anyone I know...Don't tell JM that!