Sunday, January 18, 2009

adjusting

My first week of school has been, different. All week long I felt as though I wasn't doing anything. Not sitting in the Library, not writing papers, not researching, not carrying stacks of books home across the windy park. I went to my classes, although I did completely forget about one, and it was so strange to me, the lack of stress here.

I'm living off-campus, technically. The appt complex Vanguard owns is a few blocks from the main campus so I have been walking over to class everyday. The walk consists of sidewalk that is much to wide, dirty streets, a freeway overpass and more sidewalk that is riddled with signs, random electrical boxes and Newport Blvd on my right hand side. Not quite as aesthetically pleasing as Oxford. I have caught myself, on more than one occasion, picturing in my mind Hollywell street with its quaint old multi coloured buildings. The lane just to the right of the Rad Cam, and the bike path as it passes over the Thames and through the lampost lit field.

If there are two places that are more opposite than Oxford and Newport, I would be surprised.

No comments: