Friday, November 2, 2012

Gradschool

I was returned a paper today from a professor who I enjoy completely. In the margins he told me that my writing is excellent, and he also ripped it apart.

All at once.

I think this has something to do with two factors. The first, during the last year or so of my undergraduate degree professors learned that my papers were usually A quality. The classes are small and one comes to know their students well. I noticed sometime after I studied abroad professors stopped reading my papers closely. They did not comment on grammar or word choice, sometimes not even content.

I would simply get, "A."

The other factor that weighs into my lack of correct comma placement and at times poor word choice is that these last few months have seen the first papers I have written in the larger part of two years. My sentences don't flow out as smoothly and even my typing skills are not what they used to be. I remember the last morning of my undergraduate career I woke up and wrote a 10 page paper in my pajamas, due that same afternoon.

Can you guess the grade I received?

So I'm beginning to realize that I need to refresh my grammar memory, turn on the technical language. This dedicated professor has offered to meet with me and help me get started, and recommended practice. Can I consider this practice? I am blessed by his offer and plan to drop by his office soon. However I also have another paper due on Tuesday, and I'm now second guessing every line I write.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll always proof for you!