Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas at the Pierce House


Our first Christmas as a married couple.

Yaay!

I've been putting up little decorations here and there, mostly with ribbon and pinecones. Tonight our friends the Harveys let us borrow their amazing Subaru to run and get a tree! I've never bought a Christmas tree before, and this was actually the first time I can ever remember picking one out.

You see, the Wells family lives in the forest.

When I was a tiny girl my dad used to ride his snowmobile out into the woods, cut a tree down with a chainsaw, and drag it back to our house. Lately he goes out to our backyard, or an empty lot somewhere within 5 miles of our home, chops one down and falls it onto the bed of his truck. He gets white fir trees. They're always tall.

We decorated the tree as a family. Most of our ornaments are my mom's from when she was young, handcrafted ornaments from our elementary school days, or gifts given to us over the years. Each has a memory and each year we talk about them, rediscovering our favorite ones. James and I will be here this year, in Boston, to celebrate our first Christmas as a new family. We've begun talking about different Christmas traditions and thinking about which we'd like to begin, and continue, for us.

So far we have five ornaments, plus some little red and gold balls I picked up. James is now dozing on the couch and our living room smells of pine and cinnamon.

No comments: