Friday, February 10, 2012

Enchanted Rock

Last Thursday night I came home to find the fam planning for a one-night camping adventure. Did I have to work? Nope. Did I want to go? More than anything. After much preparation and turns of events, we arrived to Enchanted Rock and a wonderful expedition.

 From foreground: Levi, Seth and Caleb.




 Caleb, Charis, Alina, Levi and Seth.
 


 Adam and Kathy helped the kids down into the cave.



We got to our campsite after dark and Thomas and I set up the tent (we had done it once before in the backyard). After a chilly night we woke up and Beth made pancakes and eggs over the fire.

Enchanted Rock is a National Park here in Texas containing a huge granite rock that rises 425 feet in elevation. The kids, including Levi (age 2) hiked to the top almost completely unassisted. They did an amazing job! It was wonderful to hike up the granite and look back over the surrounding area. Just over the crest is a cave system that runs down one side of the rock. We took the kids inside the first little area so they could get a feel for the cave. They laughed, asked questions and were absolutely tough troopers. It was windy and cold but we all had a blast.

What a joy to go along on the first Hernandez family camp-out.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I love this so much!!!