Saturday, July 4, 2009

today we conquered

"Ready when you are man" were the words that started this epic day of gardening. For days now we have been in preparation for this day. All the pieces are finally coming together. Perry and I rented a rototiller from Home Depot, well worth the cost of four hours. We also got a new weeding tool today and works like spoon works with ice cream. While Per skillfully handled the till I was hard at work moving the massive weed pile left from the last time we did a major weeding in there. I also helped keep the dirt wet and picked up the many weeds that were being tousled out of the soil. It was hard work. I must say that I came home after four hours pretty exhausted and knocked out on the living room floor for a while.

Things I've Learned From the Garden #1- Weeds are easy to take care of when they are small. Just a little time and effort and they come out almost effortlessly. I think its like a lot of problems in life. When you deal with them when they are small, problems can be quickly taken care of. Often these small dilemmas can be resolved with little effect to the rest of the community. I think it's why God tells us to "settle our arguments quickly", because when we do the least amount of damage is done. Little baby weeds however, can often be overlooked, because they are just that. Little. However if they aren't taken care of soon they become more deeply rooted and cause more pain and effort to get them out. Take care of the little weeds, while they are easy to manage.

No comments: