Wednesday, March 4, 2009

life is tough.

So, I have done this before. Once I was in the Twain Harte Market trying to pick out the cheapest and best tasting jelly when I was first inspired. There was a mom shopping with her 13-14 year old daughter. Her daughter was throwing a fit, in the middle of the store, calling her mom names and complaining that life "just isn't fair". I think she wanted to go to the movies or go to a friends house. At any rate it was a huge scene and I felt awful for the mom who was being passive and taking all the insults.

I called my mom as soon as I left the store and apologized like crazy for anytime I had ever done that to her.

What brings this to mind was my trip to the doctor today. There was a mom there, probably in her 20s, with her about 3 year old son. I walked in and I noticed his squirmy restlessness but didn't think much of it. Next thing mom is scolding him in that "I don't really mean what I'm saying voice" and he uses her phone to call daddy (with her help). Everyone is watching and its really cute when he says "daddy I'm being a bad boy" and "I love you daddy". But things only proceed to get worse. With lots of empty threats he continues to act up and starts crying. What happens next is what you would expect. A trip outside, some candy to be quiet, and yelling at the receptionist for the wait.

I'm sorry mom. If ever I was three and threw a fit that completely embarrassed you. I love you a lot. :)

3 comments:

Amber said...

threw fits that embarrassed me. love you!

Drea said...

You rarely threw fits when you were three...let's just say you were a late bloomer. Fits came when you were somewhere around 13..let's hope you've outgrown that by now! I love you!!

Unknown said...

OK, so, that second mom? She was totally helping her 3-year old throw the fit.