Tuesday, May 13, 2008

a fair haven

I live in a garden.
Upon returning home I park my car and walk across the street. There is an enormous bed of flowers just before the ivy covered trellis and just after that a large black gate that marks the entrance to this garden world. The entire place is canopied by large trees that break the light and make it soft as it reaches the floor below. Along the path there are bushes here, ferns there, and flowers that are sprinkled thoughout to add color. After a few steps a small creek appears on both sides of the path lined with wild grass. I walk over a small bridge and notice the ivy creeping up the sides of it and the old light that hangs down in the center. Next there are tall ferns and ornamental trees that hang over the walkway and as I turn the corner a lampost burns consistantly and the flame inside lights my way. At the next turn there is a large enclosure with a managerie of little birds inside. In the morning these little birds can be seen bathing in the water and greeting those who walk by with little "tweet tweets". The morning is the best time to walk through this garden. Everything is quiet except the birds, the pathways are damp and the plants all glisten with dew. As I make the last turn towards our door I notice the staircase that frames it, and the ivy hanging down like a canopy over the entryway. And to top it all off its located on Fairhaven Drive...perfect.

1 comment:

DesiraƩ Rochelle said...

A beautiful description of your fair haven!
Im so glad you get to live in such beauty this summer! Breath it in my love, breath it in!